Wednesday, October 26, 2011

In Memoriam :: Esther

I'm not sure if I've told you very much about Josh’s grandmother on his mom’s side. She passed away quietly this morning.  The last couple years we spent with her, the body was failing her, but she was there, and that was all that mattered.  She was 96 – always was a good listener and just as in all her years, she was determined, quiet, a matriarch, strong and inspiring up until the last whisper.

Simply, I loved her and she loved me. I know I made her smile, and I hope that sometimes I made her worries abate (she worried a lot).  I know that Josh made her proud.  Lewis and Nate loved to hang out with her in her den watching cartoons.  Nate used to call her “Et”.  They would play a handgame at the dining room table.  She would stack her frail, beautiful, wise hand atop his hand and he would put his other hand over hers and so on and so on.  They would continue for several minutes bantering back and forth.

Her cheeks were like swatches of cotton candy & her hair was the softest pouf of silver-grey.  She always wore the pinkest of lipsticks to hide a freckle on her lip.  I’d been trying to memorize her face. I’m so lucky our boys got to know her.  This photo typifies my memory of her.


















Goodbye Et.  I love you.  I miss you.  May her memory be for a blessing.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment