Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tango

















It's kidney failure.  Tango is comfortably resting at the animal hospital right now.  We found out on Tuesday that he has kidney failure.  We knew something wasn't right when he was trembling, vomiting and had no appetite. So we called the vet, who came to our house, and she drew up the lab work and hauled it off.  She called the next day and came to the house again, this time bringing an IV bag of subcutaneous fluids, vitamin B drops and Pepcid. We gave Tango extra cuddles and let him sleep on our bed that night only to be awakened two or three times when he got sick.  We don't know what the cause is yet, its possible that its due to an infectious agent or a toxin and we're hopeful its one of those.  Anything else and it will be fatal.  Feeling sad right now.  I know I know.  It's just a dog thank goodness. I cannot help but worry.  I am heartbroken at the thought that my kids might not have their fierce protector for much longer or their goofy, sidekick to be a part of their life. And it felt so empty today when the doorbell rang and Tango wasn't there to bark at the visitor.

Update: Tango came home from the hospital this weekend!  The blood tests all came back and unfortunately it is chronic kidney failure. His blood levels are all elevated, the most tell-tale sign being the creatinine and blood urea nitrogen levels.  We have a crude dialysis thingy set up- I swear I should get an honorary nursing degree.  I learned how to insert the needle and get him some much needed fluids flowing from the IV bag which is also loaded with vitamin B to help replenish what he has lost from the renal failure. Along with fluids, he is eating three small meals a day of prescription dog food.  We are administering about 6 different medications throughout the day to help with the anemia and his nausea and we will have a follow-up blood test repeated on Thursday.  LJ's wonderful caregiver, Emily, spoiled him rotten today.  I returned home after LJ's therapy at Children's today to find that she bathed him and warmed him up in this sweater get up.

I think he looks cozy, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. Just a dog?! Tango is such an important family member. We're rooting for him over here and hoping he'll pull through. Sending healing thoughts from Winnipeg.
    Love from Aunt Joanne, Uncle Jeff and cousin dogs Harry & Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Tango, I hope you are feeling better. You could not be in better hands. I hope I get to see you again soon. Rest up big guy.

    ReplyDelete