Information about Lewis, a special-needs child in a typical world & a journal of his life and how he changed ours.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
My Cape is in the Wash
On the cape it says "Super Woman". Lately, Lew has been wearing his super hero cape and turning it into an apron for imaginary play sessions as a pizza chef. I have admired his cape and feel that I earned my own, to keep, after traveling to Florida this past week by myself and the boys. Said cape is now in the wash, with the other mountain of laundry from our mini-vacation. Ah, real world reentry is never easy. Not to make light, Nate was such a sturdy assistant helping with the carry-ons and juggling the crayons, snacks and iPad to keep LJ entertained during the flights. As I managed the little human, the wheelchair suitcase and the other bags, Nate was so self-reliant and responsible. He was great!
Aunt Jessie (aka Tanta) celebrated a birthday the first night we were in town. Lew helped her celebrate by giving her a great gift- riding Tanta's electric chair. Nothing else mattered than riding with Tanta.
Fortunately, Tanta is a much, much better driver than Lewis (he's recently scuffed up our walls and door frames. He thinks its very funny when he purposely slams into the dining table). He's become defiant like that. He sat on her lap and was strong enough to hold himself upright...pretending to turn the key and drive. Hope he got some good driving tips.
Next up Legoland: Nanny and Babu took Nate to meet Darth Vader, R2D2 and the Pirates of the Caribbean. And if that's not enough! He visited NYC, DC and Vegas baby. Incredible Miniland versions of lego cities that took months to create. Nate was thoroughly impressed and inspired. Nanny and Babu deserve super hero capes too. Nate declared Florida very HOT! and also Legoland was his fave part of the trip;)
While they traipsed around Lakeland, Lewis and I went to Innisbrook to swim in the pool and eat mac n cheese poolside. Tons and tons of mac n cheese. We had some good qt. The weather was beautiful and the pool also had these spray fountains that Lew tried to squash with his feet. When that failed, he bent his knees, squatted down and then triumphantly sat down on it.
Clearwater Beach: LJ loved to sift sand through his fingers. We made sand soup with a dash of sea shell sprinkles. Aunt Kara shuttled him during a fun game of tag with his cousins. He also thoroughly enjoyed making some serious sea horse sand molds. Try saying that ten times fast. Nate and Cousin L dug to China, practiced sliding stops in the sand & then tried to take a bath in the sand.
The sunset on our last night of the mini-vacation was a perfect gift. After months of shuttling to therapies, doctor appointments, surgery and follow ups I was truly able to be at the beach without thinking of other things. At that one point in time, I felt no anxiety or stress about therapies and treatments coupled with the trials and opportunities parenting Nate. I only felt joy. I was home. I had avoided burnout.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment