Friday, August 7, 2009

Noteworthy. Sorta.

This post is a bit random. But it's mostly about our farm share and a tiny update about Noodles. Josh had a business trip yesterday so we were flying solo again. I had to take LJ in the afternoon to Dr. GI because his gtube wasn't fitting snug again (note: we were just there last week for the same problem). They diagnosed the problem as granulation tissue. Essentially the skin tries to re-grow where the hole is because it thinks it needs to regenerate. In most cases this would be a good thing, but for LJ it means that his grossness can leak from the edges and it's uncomfy. It burns. So the nurse used a silver nitrate stick to burn off the granulation tissue. We have to go back next week to get the same procedure done. I think it hurts me worse to watch then it actually hurts LJ. He now weighs 17 pounds!! Nate was a very good boy during the appointment. He made a choo choo train out of all the chairs in the waiting room! Hey, it kept him busy:)

On the food front, we have been given a Rx for a special, heavy-duty formula that packs the nutrients and calories in. After wrangling with the insurance company (they won't pay for it even though it is medically necessary and it's prescription only) we found a way through Medicaid. The month's supply arrived earlier this week. Also arriving earlier this week was our farm share.

One of the best things about the summer is our farm share. I look forward to the challenge of making something with all the goodies that arrive. Some veggies I have never cooked with before. Others are clear favorites. Well, tomato season is upon us! You say tomato, I say tomato (okay, that doesn't really work in writing since the spelling is the same). With the abundance of colorful , delish tomatoes we have been making summer favorites such as: Greek tomato, cucumber and feta salad, tomato pie, bloody marys!@#$, gazpacho, and roasted tomatoes.

















And since Nate decided NOT TO NAP yesterday after LJ's appointment, I suggested we bake a cake to distract him...and so that he didn't destroy the furniture! So I figured I ought to do something with the plethora of zucchini we got from the farm share. Nee the Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cake. He loves to "crack the eggs". After we dumped them into the batter he smiled from ear to ear..."Now let's see how this works. Uh. K. We have to push this button on, mommy." We sprinkled a little cinnamon-sugar on top of the loaf pan before we put it in the oven. The epicurious recipe didn't have this step but I think it goes really well.























Other zucchini creations have involved zucchini pancakes, zucchini and corn succotash, the summer favorite of simple grilled zucchini. But in the end, last night I cheated. And since Josh was out of town, I took both boys down the street for some pizza. I gave LJ some of the baked pizza dough the restaurant serves as bread right when we arrived. He just waved it around with his hand until it dropped in his lap. Then as if on cue, Lewis started smiling. A lot. And then his face turned red. And then I knew what was going on. The pizza hadn't even arrived and he was working on a BM! Just my luck. We had to eat and run. Good thing I had some tastey cake to bribe Nate with so we could motor home and get Noodle's diaper changed pronto!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, you HAVE to write a cookbook/lifestyle book! I would buy it for sure!!

    ReplyDelete